This was what the world outside our windows looked like today.
At one point, the sun came out, the sky was clear blue, and it looked like a winter wonderland out there.
The sun shone brightly for a few hours today, but I don't think this snow is going anywhere anytime soon. Tomorrow (Sunday) the highs are forecast to be in the 20's and the low tomorrow night is expected to be near 5°F. Brrrr!
Tonight I made an easy casserole for our dinner, and I thought you might like to have the recipe. I first had this dish when my mother-in-law made it many years ago. It's so easy, but it has always been one of Hal's favorites, I think because his mom made it, and I used to make it on a pretty regular basis during our early years of marriage.
The great thing about this casserole is it's (almost) a one-dish meal. You brown your ground beef and onion in a skillet, and everything else is baked in one dish. There's not a lot of cleanup, and it really is tasty on a night like tonight. It definitely qualifies as comfort food.
This recipe is called Hungry Jack Casserole because it uses Pillsbury "Hungry Jack" biscuits -- the kind you find in the dairy case. Here's what you'll need for the recipe:
Tonight I made an easy casserole for our dinner, and I thought you might like to have the recipe. I first had this dish when my mother-in-law made it many years ago. It's so easy, but it has always been one of Hal's favorites, I think because his mom made it, and I used to make it on a pretty regular basis during our early years of marriage.
The great thing about this casserole is it's (almost) a one-dish meal. You brown your ground beef and onion in a skillet, and everything else is baked in one dish. There's not a lot of cleanup, and it really is tasty on a night like tonight. It definitely qualifies as comfort food.
This recipe is called Hungry Jack Casserole because it uses Pillsbury "Hungry Jack" biscuits -- the kind you find in the dairy case. Here's what you'll need for the recipe:
- 1b. ground beef (I used very lean ground beef)
- 16 oz. can pork 'n beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I changed mine to 1/2 c. ketchup and 1/4 c. barbecue sauce) I don't like the barbecue sauce to overwhelm the taste of the casserole. I've always used Kraft barbecue sauce, but use what you like best
- 1 teas. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. minced onion flakes (I chopped a small onion for mine)
- 1 can Pillsbury "Grands" (they used to be called Hungry Jack) original flaky biscuits from dairy section - 8 biscuits
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese ( I used Colby Jack)
Add grated cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
This really does stick to your ribs, and you've got almost everything in one dish -- meat, beans bread, and cheese. Hal was so excited that I made this tonight because I haven't made it in a long time. It sure smells good when it's cooking. :)
To accompany the casserole, you could fix steamed broccoli or asparagus, corn, potatoes, applesauce, or a tossed salad, and you've got a filling meal. I hope you give this a try, and let me know if you enjoy it.
Did it snow where you are today or yesterday? If so, I hope you're safe and warm. Thank you so much for your visit and have a wonderful weekend.













0 Yorumlar