Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

When surprise doesn't suck

Not all of us love surprises. In fact, some of us loathe them. I happen to love them, as long as they're good.
But you'll never win me over with any of the following:

"I'm not really a woman. Surprise!"
"That's not rice you're eating. It's maggots. Surprise!"
"Surprise! I don't really love you!"
"I was going to take you on an exotic vacation for a week but instead decided to let you get caught up on housework instead. Surprise!"
"He's not your real father. Surprise!"
"I don't love your manuscript but the good news is, I love you! Surprise!"
"I'm leaving you for another woman. A much younger, prettier-HEALTHIER-woman. But you can have the house. Surprise!"

Just so you know, if you come near me with one of those, your "surprise" may turn into an ear punch. But then there are those times a surprise is so good, the mere shock of it lasts for days, weeks even, in a totally amazing kind of way. Be it in  your story or in life, surprises can be a very good thing.

Take the offspring's dance teacher, Miss Maria, for example. Wednesday was an ordinary class for her. Just the usual three and four-year-olds rolling around on the floor instead of actually listening to her. It was Parent Watch Night and you could see the relief on her face when the (longest) half-hour (ever) was (finally) over.

And then behind her, out of nowhere, comes in a man. He walked with his hands behind his back and a slight quiver to his lip. He tip-toed up behind her, and then did this:
With some nervous ramblings in front of a room full of romantics, he did the MOST romantic thing a man in love can do. And she was completely surprised. So surprised, she was speechless. But of course, she said yes.
After that night, I realized there are some problems with my beloved ms, including some places where the element of surprise is lacking. I want readers to have that feeling of OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT ME, just like Maria...

What about you, friends? Do you like surprises? 
Candyland. OUT.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar